Garlic is a great health herb because it has the vital chemical compound allicin that is the wonder therapeutic ingredient for its medicinal qualities. The allicin compound contains sulfur, which gives garlic its pungent savor and peculiar smell.
“Garlic is the oldest known medicinal plant variety or spice in existence. Mankind recognized the curative qualities of this magic herb since over 3000 years. Sir Louis Pasteur, the discoverer of penicillin, effectively utilized the anti-bacterial qualities of garlic way back in 1858. The World War medical surgeons used the health benefits of garlic juice as an anti-septic for treating war wounds. Garlic contains useful minerals such as phosphorous, calcium, and iron. The trace minerals such as iodine, sulfur, and chlorine are also present in the cloves in addition to the compounds such as allicin, allisatin 1 and 2.” from Health Benefits of Garlic.
The health benefits of garlic are innumerable. Studies have shown that consuming garlic generally has the following physical effects:
· Garlic lowers blood pressure
· Garlic lowers LDL Cholesterol
· Garlic helps reduce plaque within the arterial system.
· Garlic lowers or helps to regulate blood sugar.
· Garlic helps to prevent blood clots from forming, thus reducing the possibility of strokes and thromboses
· Garlic helps to prevent cancer, especially of the digestive system, prevents certain tumors from growing larger and reduces the size of certain tumors.
· Garlic assists in normal functioning of the intestines for good digestion. Even any swelling or irritation of the gastric canal may be rectified with garlic treatment. It clears most of the intestinal problems like dysentery, diarrhea and colitis. Its role in dispelling worms is phenomenal. It does not affect the functioning of useful organisms in the intestine, which aid in digestion but it does destroy the harmful bacteria present in intestine.
· Garlic may be used along with other ingredients like honey, cream and turmeric to treat acne scars and even prevent acne growth. Garlic acts as a cleanser and antibiotic for soothing skin rashes.
· Regular intake of garlic reduces the risk of colon, stomach and esophageal cancer. It aids in reducing the production of carcinogenic compounds. It also reduces the occurrence of tumor and breast cancer.
· Garlic helps to remove heavy metals such as lead and mercury from the body.
· Raw Garlic is a potent natural antibiotic and, while far less strong than modern antibiotics, can still kill some strains of bacteria that have become immune or resistant to modern antibiotics.
· Garlic has anti-fungal and anti-viral properties.
· Garlic dramatically reduces yeast infections due to Candida species.
· Garlic has anti-oxidant properties and is a source of selenium.
· Garlic kills many fungi on contact including athlete’s foot fungus, and candida species yeast
· Garlic boosts the immune system thereby increasing ones resistance to allergies, colds, anemia, and asthma.
· Garlic is able to increase red blood cells, which increase ones energy and vitality.
· Garlic is used to rub on the sensitive areas of where arthritic pain occurs it can alleviate the pain.
· Garlic can help blood platelets from sticking together so the body is able to break up blood clots.
· Eating one or two garlic cloves a day can help thin the blood thus starting the clot-preventing process. The blood thinning quality may be beneficial in preventing heart attacks and strokes.
· Garlic contains phytochemicals that have been proven to retard cancer development and growth.
· Garlic contains vitamins that stimulate the immune system to eliminate toxins and combat carcinogens.
· Studies also show that people who consume garlic on a regular basis have a lower rate of stomach and colon cancer.